Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Synopsis for the Second Half of the Semester

Kate Murphy

Midterm Exam

Synopsis



            In the first half of the semester, I worked on three main areas of mass media: radio, video, and publishing. When deciding what path to take for the second half, I chose the one area that I felt most comfortable with, yet will still work diligently toward accomplishing a quality work. I have decided that I want to continue working with publishing. I thoroughly enjoyed working with Lulu and I want to continue that process and better my skills.

            When assigned the minimum thirty two page book project, I was overwhelmed. I did not think it would be possible. Then I started to brainstorm for ideas on what I could possibly publish and I was inspired by my favorite season, summer. For the second half of the semester, I want to base my book off of that Lulu rough draft book. I want to make it bigger and better. Even though it may seem like a simple book, my time and effort would be very evident in this book. After coming back from Spring Break, there will be a little over a month left of class and I will definitely devote a lot of time and attention toward creating and publishing this book. I do not want just a simple photography book. I want to publish a photography book with pictures that I have personally taken with the addition of quotes, stories, song lyrics, or anything that correlates to summer. I plan on using Lulu again because of the ease that the site provides.

            For the second half of the semester, I plan on creating, devoting time, and publishing a book filled with my own photography. When I go to book stores, I always enjoy going through the pages of photography books; I guess I could say that I am inspired by them, and that is why I take my own pictures. I believe that memories and special moments can be captured in pictures and even when times change or get difficult, pictures will always remain the same. I plan on publishing this book not only for myself but for others to see it as well. I would hope that by placing it on my coffee table at home that people would see it and be intrigued to start flipping through the pages in awe that I was able to publish my very own book with an ISBN number. I think it would be a thoughtful gift to give to my mother, to show her that her own daughter published a book. I would work on this project in and outside of class; I would use time in class as well as work on it on my laptop in my dorm. I want to put a lot of work toward this book; I want to be proud of the final outcome and tell myself that I put my best work in this book. Along with that, I would work on it whenever I can make time. We are given a little over a month to work on it and I absolutely hate procrastinating, so last minute cramming would not be an issue with me. Finally, why choose to publish a photography book for my project? I want to be proud of something that has my own name on it. I want to hold this book in my hands and know that I took the pictures, wrote commentary, found specific quotes, and worked very hard at. Just to know that I would have my own book is something that I’ve always thought about but never though could be possible. My intentions are to produce and publish a book and to have the ability to place it on a table for someone to pick up and flip through. It would be a great way to display my photography because I really do love taking pictures of flowers and nature in the summer.

            Eventually, I hope to have a specific plan with people I want to work with, a schedule, responsibilities, a plan of what I want the book to entail, and the final deliverable. I am excited to work on this project and to rework what I tried to do with my first Lulu book. I was inspired by the Lulu project given in the first half of the semester and hopefully I will be able to make a bigger and better composition of my photography the second half of the semester.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.olhardireito.blogspot.com/2012/03/grande-super-terca-feira.html

    ReplyDelete