Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The BWC Aids in Burning Calories


Kate Murphy
Writing Assignment #5
10-9-12

The College of St. Scholastica offers a 63,000-square-foot complex that allows students, sports teams, staff and the public to get their sweat on.
            Whether you want to tone your arms in the weight room, go for a jog around the running track, or scale up the 40-foot rock wall, the college offers sweat-breaking ways to keep your body in shape. The Burns Wellness Commons features an indoor six-lane 200-meter running track, four tennis courts, weight room, aerobic studio, cardio-filled fitness area, and so much more for those who want to get in shape.
             “The BWC has so many options,” Janessa Matheson, a sophomore at CSS said. “I use the BWC for core exercises and I can do anything from the elliptical, to the treadmill or bike.”
            “I would recommend everyone to use this facility because it’s super nice, lots of fun and very good for you,” Amy Strafelda, a sophomore at St. Scholastica said. “I love working out on my own. It’s my “me time.””
            The facility is also the prime place to feel the burn during the infamous Duluth winters.
            “I want to keep my body toned all year,” Matheson said. “Running is my favorite and it’s a little difficult to run outside in the winter.”
            The aerobics room offers a beautiful view of Chester Creek, as well as a variety of dance, aerobics, Pilates, yoga, and self-defense classes to get students’ hearts racing. The weight room gives the weight trainer the opportunity for a full body workout. The ever-popular climbing wall is a great way to stay active. The best part is that all of these options are conveniently placed in one location.
            “I am so happy we have a facility like BWC right outside our back door,” Strafelda said.
If pumping iron or running on a track isn’t your thing, CSS also offers intramural sports. Students sign up and meet on designated days to show off their skills or to join together with friends to blow off some steam.
“I love sports. I ran cross country and track in high school,” Matheson said. “I really miss it, so I wanted to join intramural volleyball. It’s a way to hang out, have fun and be healthy.”
Whether you are working out to have fun, get in shape, or to get away from the cold weather, the Burns Wellness Commons is a great way for people to stay in shape and get their sweat on.

No comments:

Post a Comment